Romania confirmed its first case of coronavirus in a man from the southern county of Gorj, Health Minister Victor Costache said.
The 25-year-old man had been hunting with an Italian citizen who traveled to Romania earlier this month.
“He is in a good condition and will be transferred to a Bucharest infectious hospital,” Costache said late Wednesday.
He was transported to the Matei Balș Institute in Bucharest for treatment overnight. He showed no symptoms of the infection.
Costache said all seven members of the man’s family tested negative and will be quarantined for 14 days. Another 13 people the man came in contact have also tested negative, Gorj prefect Ion Rujan said.
The 71-year old Italian visited Romania from February 18-22 and was diagnosed after he returned to Italy.
He visited his Romanian wife’s family in Craiova and had several meetings in Craiova and Gorj county.
Authorities closed schools and canceled sporting and other activities in the village where the man lives.