Euro 2020 matches to be hosted by Bucharest this summer won’t play to empty stands despite the pandemic, the sport’s minister said. He called Romania’s hosting of the event „a reason for national pride.”
Some 13,000 spectators will be allowed in the stands of the National Arena, representing a fourth of the stadium’s capacity.
Minister Eduard Novak said on Tuesday that the plan had been agreed with UEFA and the National Public Health Institute. It won’t create a precedent for other sporting events, he said.
The minister said in a post on Facebook that access to the stadium would be done in line with a system developed by UEFA.
Last month, UEFA president President Aleksander Ceferin said that host cities must allow fans into grounds or risk being dropped.
Each spectator will need to present a certificate showing he or she has recovered from Covid-19 or has had both jabs.
Tickets will include the time and date when spectators must arrive at the stadium to avoid congestion.
If fans haven’t been tested, the alternative option, will be for them to be tested on the spot, Mr Novak said.
„This decision crowns all the efforts our country has made so far_ financially, humanly and logistically” the minister said.
„We have a historic chance to be part of a major sporting event and to show that we can honor our obligations to the highest standards of organization and safety.”
„The sporting spectacle is a great joy for us all while being the organizers is an acknowledgment of our capacity, a reason for national pride,” he said.
The EURO 2020 competition will run for a month between June 11 and July 11. It is being hosted by 12 European cities, including Bucharest.
EURO2020 was postponed by a year because of the coronavirus pandemic.