Two more people have tested positive for coronavirus in Romania, bringing the total to eight. All of the cases were people who had been in Italy or came in contact with people who had been there.
A 16-year-old schoolgirl has tested positive after she caught it from a classmate whose father had recently returned from Italy, authorities said. The teen was transferred to the Victor Babes hospital for infectious diseases in Timisoara late Thursday, where her classmate and his 47-year-old father are also hospitalized.
A 51-year-old man who traveled from Italy with a 71-year-old man was also diagnozed with having the virus, the Group for Strategic Communication said Friday. He will be admitted to a hospital in the southern city of Craiova.
Romanian doctors have given the all-clear to three patients who were diagnosed earlier with the disease.
There are 35 people in institutionalized quarantine in Romania while more than 11,700 are in self-isolation at home, health ministry officials said.
Authorities also announced said that a Romanian citizen living in the worst-hit Lombardy region of Italy has been infected with COVID-19, the Strategic Communication Group said.
Acting Health Minister Victor Costache has recommended that Romanians consider putting off plans to travel to Romania for the Easter break next month. He says if they enter Romania, they face two weeks of quarantine due to the coronavirus outbreak there.
Death toll from coronavirus in Italy has risen to 148 on Thursday with more than 3,800 people testing positive for the disease. The ountry reported the highest number of deaths outside of China.
There are an estimated one million Romanians living in Italy.