Some 300 people were evacuated after flash floods hit a region in Transylvania destroying 120 houses and damaging roads, interior minister Lucian Bode said on Sunday.
There were no casualties from the flooding late last week, the government said.
Prime Minister Florin Cîţu on Sunday visited the worst affected areas in Alba county. The area saw heavy flooding last week after a river burst its banks following heavy rain.
The interior minister said dozens of emergency officials had been dispatched to help with rescue efforts and evacuate people.
“What’s important is that there aren’t any casualties,” minister Bode said.
He said power had been restored 10,000 households in the area. Some 50 households still without electricity.
The premier promised financial aid to the worst stricken areas. He said the money would arrive early next week.
„It’s a fixed sum but if more is needed, we will supplement it,” he said. “The important thing is safety and for people to repair their homes and farms.”
He called the situation “dramatic” and thanked the interior and defense ministries for getting involved in rescue efforts in flooded areas.
He said the government would discuss the financial aid and the way it is disbursed on Wednesday including in the case of future flooding.