Romania’s health minister resigned on Thursday following criticism of his handling of the coronavirus epidemic that has infected more than 900 people and led to 14 deaths.
Victor Costache said he would step down, a day after he said that Bucharest’s 2 million residents would be tested for COVID-19, an initiative that many said was too expensive, inefficient and logistically difficult.
Prime Minister Ludovic Orban said: „I regret (his decision), but I understand.”
Orban said he would propose state secretary for health, Nelu Tartaru, the public face of the ministry since the outbreak of the crisis earlier this month.
” He was, and he will be on the front line of the battle against coronavirus,” said Orban.
President Klaus Iohannis needs to formally appoint the new minister. Iohannis was scheduled to make an announcement later Thursday.