Authorities said a doctor had died of COVID-19, the second medic in Romania top succumb to the virus which has infected more than 1,000 health workers.
A 68-year-old doctor from Botosani Hospital in northern Romania succumbed to the disease early Monday, after she was admitted there for treatment on April 19.
She was an internist who had opted to work beyond retirement due to healthcare staff shortages, and had underlying health conditions. It was unclear where she contracted the virus.
Her death brings the number of deaths to 631 in Romania, which is the worst affected country in the region.
Health Minister Nelu Tataru said last week that six healthcare workers had died since the virus outbreak and 1,033 healthcare workers had tested positive for the virus.
The first doctor to die was a 62-year-old medic from the Constanta County Hospital. He died last week at the Matei Bals Infectious Diseases Institute in Bucharest. A 54-year-old nurse from the same hospital also died in early April after a trip to Turkey.